Every village has its own symbols. The old bridge and the old mallet represents two symbols not only for people from Argegno but for the greater part of the district of Val d’Intelvi. The postcard people can admire from the “Statale Regina” contemplates the “punt vecc”, the houses overhanging the river Telo and, on the horizon, the old mallet once the industrious workshop of the blacksmith. Built in 1772 after decades of oblivion and neglect it has now been brought back to its former glory.

The old settlement of which we can find many traces in documents of the time, exploited the explosive power of the waters of the stream crossing the Valle d’Intelvi before ending in the lake. The old mallet was a “modern” workshop by the standard of the end of the 17th century and was used by people from Argegno and the nearby villages.

With its impetuous motion due to the cliffs present some hundred meters from its mouth, the Telo was an unlimited source of energy to work such a ductile metal as iron. The original stones (a detail of historic and symbolic value of this building) were used for the reconstruction of the old mallet, a precious fragment of the local history.

Once a blacksmith’s workshop the imposing structure is now the seat of a natural history and ethnographic museum which aims at reviving the feelings of past centuries. Its connection to the territory is symbolized by the presence of the old wheel which operated the mechanism for the water working in the same place it had in 1772.

Every village has its epic, its characters who sometimes are purely legendary and sometimes are a part of history with full rights. Two of them (one from the 17th century and the other who lived in the second half of the 20th century) came both from the shores near Lecco to Argegno in search of glory, fame and “monumental” awards…


Currently there aren't testimonies.